A Match Made in Brittany Heaven Part II – Nutella Crepe
by Jobie Soo
Is it just me or that insatiable craving for a sweet delicious crepe happens to everyone too?
No? Just me? Cool.
Well, in my defence, it’s common to crave for something sweet after devouring an entire savory Galette Complète (click to see if you missed our last post about the Galette Complète recipe). That’s why it’s important for me to introduce to you the “better-half” of a Galette Complète, aka The Almighty Crepe, aka my favourite Nutella-filled Crepe because I’m a total “Nutella-holic”…
I know an original basic crepe only has a sugary and buttery taste, but there are so many combinations of toppings and fillings out there you can throw together. Maple syrups, whipped cream, ice-cream, strawberries (or any kind of berries), marshmallows (hello, S’More fans!), even sprinkles (a unicorn-themed crepe, maybe?).
See? It’s just as fun and yummy as a galette, except you only put sweet ingredients on a crepe.
That’s why I want to dedicate this post, the second part of A Match Made in Brittany Heaven, wholly to talk about the greatness of a crepe. It’s so great that in France, there’s a thing called “jour des crêpes” (The Day of Crepes) which is on February 2nd — a day to celebrate La Chandeleur by eating a lot of crepes.
Sounds like a dream, doesn’t it?
Anyway, here’s the simple guide to making a perfectly easy and delicious Nutella crepe for your kids and family! Enjoy!
Ingredients (family-sized serving)
For crepe batter, you’ll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
For fillings and toppings*:
- Fair amount of Nutella for spread
- Strawberries (washed)
- Vanilla ice-cream
*Fillings may vary based on personal preference.
(Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart Simple Crepes)
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, eggs, and butter in a blender for around 30 seconds, until mixture is smooth and bubbles appear on top. Let it sit for 15 minutes at room temperature (or store up to 1 day in a refrigerator; whisk before use).
- Lightly coat a nonstick skillet with butter over medium heat. Add ⅓ cup batter and swirl it around until skillet is wholly covered. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Use a spatula to loosen the crepe from the skillet and quickly flip it to cook the other side. Cook for 1 minute and lay it flat on a plate.
- Spread Nutella on top of cooked crepe and very gently fold it in half.
- Slice and dice the strawberries for toppings or fillings.
- Add a scoop of Vanilla ice-cream on top to make a nice and sweet dish.
Easy peasy “Nutella” squeezy! Even for beginners!
But I get it, it’s Sunday and you wake up at 12 (I mean, who doesn’t?) and all you want is a hot and sweet crepe all nice and ready for you on a table… like this one.
Go check out La Creperie’s page in our guide for more information! Bon Appetit!