A Match Made in Brittany Heaven Part I – Galette Complète
by Jobie Soo
Last week I tried Galette Complète for the first time, and I fell in love.
What can I say? It was love at first “bite”.
So, being a curious foodie myself, I instantly googled “how to make the perfect Galette Complète”, and I was surprised by how little I knew about this amazing gift to mankind.
I found out that, for the longest time, there lived a “signature duo” called “Crepe and Galette” in Brittany, the north-western part of France. Yes, these two are inseparable. Traditionally, an authentic Brittany “Crepe and Galette” meal consists of — and should be consumed in this specific order — a savory galette, a sweet and buttery crepe and, last but not least, a glass of apple cider to top it all off.
Despite its French origin, this “signature duo” from Brittany is actually a beloved cuisine in Belgium, Canada, and other European countries as well. The most alluring thing about this Brittany classic is its variation of fillings and toppings. Plus, it’s fun to get creative with food, don’t you think? With crepe and galette, you can explore different interesting combinations of taste. And chances are, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the choice you make!
*In case you’re a new fan of this “signature duo”, there’s one thing you must know. Yes, a galette is always the one with savory flavor, and yes, a crepe is the sweet one.
So, to all the first-timers — the brave souls — out there, those who are down to experiment with different savory ingredients on a pancake to create the perfect galette for your own taste, this one’s for YOU.
Ingredients (serving for 4 people)
For galette batter, you’ll need:
- 1 and ½ cups buckwheat flour
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 2 cups water (add 1 tablespoon if needed)
For the filling*:
- 8 slices ham
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
*Fillings may vary based on personal preference.
(Recipe courtesy of Healthy Recipe Ecstasy)
- Combine flour, egg, 2 cups water and salt in a large bowl and whisk until the batter is perfectly blended. Refrigerate and let batter rest for at least 1 hour. Add 1 tablespoon water if the batter has thickened after refrigerating.
- Add 1 teaspoon canola oil and spread around a non-stick crepe pan over medium heat.
- Pour ½ cup plus one tablespoon batter into the pan and swirl it around until the pan is wholly covered. Cook for 2 minutes, then use the spatula to gently loosen the bottom of the crepe from the pan and flip it to cook the other side.
- Wipe out the pan, then melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan and turn heat to medium heat. Add 1 crepe back to the pan.
- Add 2 slices of ham and ¼ cup of cheese to the right side of the crepe. Add 1 egg on top of the ham and cheese. Break the yolk with a fork.and spread the yolk and egg white over the ham and cheese. Let it cook for 3 minutes (or until the cheese is melted and the egg reaches desired consistency). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold the left side of the crepe over to the other side and fold it in half again.
And voilà! A nice and hot Galette Complète is ready to serve!
Keep in mind, there are many different flavors and combinations to a galette. You can basically fill it with anything you want, as long as they are all savory ingredients. Some of my personal favourites are mushrooms, bacon, cheesy corn, potato… The list is endless.
Take a look at this yummy (and perfectly cooked) galette by La Creperie *drooling*
Getting hungry already?
Go to La Creperie’s page in our guide and find out their store locations in HK now! Bon Appetit!